Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Startup Funding thru Donations, no VC's or Angel fund???

Hmmmm? This should be interesting. Kevin Burton mentioned on FeedBlog that he's funding his new startup, TailRank, not by VC's or Angel funds, but by the "goodwill from people in the Blogsphere." You get different benefits depending on whether you donate $20 or $100.

Hmmm? It's an interesting thought. Certainly beats having to run your company based on profits and NOT on innovations. Plus, raising $5K is cheap enough, given enough time.

If you are reading this, Kevin, I would hook you up, but I have not used my PayPal account for a long time and don't have any wish to. If you post a reply to this blog which coffee shop you're doing your hacking this weekend, I'll come by with my $20. (And I don't need to make my blog public. This is just a friendly blog to share my life with amongst friends.) Knowing that he is a co-founder of yet another company (Rojo (which BTW, I'm still trying to eventually work towards getting a QA gig at...it's SOOO close to the skating rink and my gym...but I digress...)[1], I'm curious to see where he'll take TailRank. Besides, if he does make TailRank into a successful venture, I would like to know that I have a small hand in making TailRank a success.

[1]I would love to join Rojo someday as a QA gal, but I'm not ready to join now b/c I really have to get up to speed on my RSS knowledge and at least brush up on Apache, MySQL and various other technically "stuff." Currently, I am too busy dealing with other "stuff" related to my current job. (Very boring QA process work and fighting with Microsoft ACT/VBScript/Learning how to write HTML Request and Response Headers. I know for the computer geeks reading this, it's boring stuff!!!) I'm also staying at my current job also for no other reason other than it's a quiet enough job where I can concentrate on finishing my goals to become an Adult Bronze level freestyle skater and compete at Adult Nationals (my Olympics!) :)

No comments: