Monday, April 25, 2005

Playing QA spy again...

I'm now learning the Extreme Programming Model so that my company can get started on using this model for testing software. This should be a pretty hard sell though since everyone right now has their own office and is very content having their own cube and not into the open office model that this model is encouraging.

And then a thought came to me... I was thinking of the office setup that the blond office window guy was in. Initially when I saw the office I thought "Ewww!!! No privacy!!! And I have to face people in the middle too!" Now thinking about it, it was INTENTIONAL!!! I saw how the office had design notes and how the objects are organized. I also noticed on occasions that they have a meeting in that office but on occasions, one or two may have headphones on and keep working. I realized that this was part of the working environment that EPM promotes. However, I don't see developers work in pairs that often, though there may be cases where a developer is hovering over a person's computer on something. (Pairs programming?)

The other thing I noticed that's strange is that they all work at pretty much the same hours!!! They also mostly leave at the same time too...well, except for the Lead Engineer/founder (Yeap -- "Blond office window guy") who usually leaves first.

I wonder if they know that I'm slowly picking up on how they work, even though I don't know their technology yet. Well, other than that they're writing in Java and are probably using LAMP (b/c they're a startup!) :-P

No comments: