Saturday, January 19, 2008

2007 achievements/goals for 2008 (skating)

I posted this on skatingforums.com on the "2007 Achievements/2008 thread" but I should put it here so I can track myself here too! Note that this was written as of early Dec 2007. I have a few comments in blue on the current status.

Achievements for 2007:
  • Well, I'm happy to say that the first two goals are finally halfway getting there! I'm at least landing the flip and the loop a lot more often than before.
  • Lutz: Well, I've landed one or two on a good day... including one just this past Thursday! But so far, it's still a pipe dream... (Side note: Not as much of a pipe dream now. I've been landing one or two of them a session. They're not great! They're probably royally cheated on the takeoff too or flutzed. But I am landing them CLEAN!!!)
  • Camels are at least spinning consistently around at least a couple of revs and more like 3 revs. before I end up dropping back down to a scratch (or on bad days, it doesn't even get past 2 revs.) But it's definitely coming along!!! However, camel-sit is still a dream. I only get them a couple of times in the last six months.
  • Skate faster and prettier... Hmmm? Well, I am faster. Prettier... is in the eyes of the beholder.
  • ALL my coaches, including my NYC coach, thought that I'm skating faster and have more flow and confidences in my edges, FWIW. That's good to know.
  • Silver Moves: Both primary and secondary coach started me on Silver Moves. Oh, dear! It's gonna be a BEAR getting that FO mohawk and the BI3's... (Forward power pulls are getting somewhere though... They're definitely starting to get there.) And if you have seen my artistic program video, my spirals are another big pleasant surprise this year. All that stretching at the gym... (Side Note: I have a heck of a time trying to get my spiral at hip level, especially when my lower back is bothering me. I do a lot of stretching at the gym in order to help me become more flexible. It's a VERY GOOD thing when I can get it at hip level.)
  • Back sit spin: This is the surprise one! I actually am starting to get one. Albeit wimpy one and probably won't count on the Bronze FS test if I was doing a back sit instead of a regular sit spin. But it's good enough to make its way into my FS program this year.
  • I'm having a hard time saving up for AN AND for new boots! Apparently this year there's been two major home maintanance/repairs that cost a lot of money. But I do have enough to make it to AN if I get roommates and keep the cost of hotels/rooms/B&B/etc. under a certain amount. I did get my boots looked at by Harlicks and there are some things they can do to reinforce the skate more until I need to get new boots. So I'm not too worried about getting new skates right now.
  • I did compete as a Bronze lady for the VERY FIRST time in November! What an experience skating with a FINE group of Bronze ladies in both the FS and the artistic events. I definitely have a lot more work to do to get my skating to the point where I would be proud as a Bronze lady. But for now, I'm happy to be skating in the same events as them.
  • I've been playing with NYC coach's bracket exercise from last year. I should have something to show him this year, though it's not gonna look pretty or smooth. I think he'll be happy with it. (Well, at least he won't give me a hard time about it.) (Side Note: I did show it to him and though it wasn't that great, he was pleased that I actually am trying for them now.)
  • And last but certainly not least... well, we'll see. The year hasn't ended yet. So far, I'm staying healthy this year. (Knock on wood.) Pray it STAYS that way!!! (Side Note: Well, that didn't happen. I caught a bad flu that I'm still trying to recover from.)

2008 Goals:
  • I still would like to get my loop and flip consistent to the point where I can comfortably land them clean "at will" like I do with my waltz, toe loop and salchow now.
  • Lutz: I would like to land these guys at least as often as I do my loop and flip now. I won't count on landing them as consistent as I do with my waltz, toe loop, and salchow, though it would be REAL nice if that were to happen.
  • Have a true backspin on a BO edge and not just a fake one where it rocks from a BO and goes into a FI edge.
  • Back sit: Lower!!! Lower!!! (And faster with more revs. too!!! And can I please do it from a forward sit change foot to a back sit spin too? )
  • Camel: Please let it be strong enough to transition to a camel-sit! Please, pretty please???
  • I hope to make some more progress on Silver Moves. But since I'll be working mostly on my getting jumps and spins for my AN programs in the next few months, I think it will likely be in the back burner for 2009. We'll see.
  • Make more $$$ so I can continue to afford my lessons, ice time and PT.
  • STAY HEALTHY!!!

No comments: