Monday, January 21, 2008

Got to workout at a "posh" health club...

My current health club has some sort of a deal going with the more "upscale and posh" Club Sports. I never really thought to go to Club Sports since I don't live anywhere near any of their branches. However, today I was visiting my high school girlfriends for a "good day out" and trust me... with these fab friends, there's no such thing as "keeping a schedule." (Or "diet"... or "portion control" with these people!!! Let's put it another way: Answer to "Chocolate cake or cannolis?" question is "yes!" for them! LOL!!!) Anyway, I was hunting for the closest branch of my health club to go to and one of the friends mentioned something about Club Sports and I remembered that I have that deal going on with my health club that if I pay $10 a visit, I can get into the more posh Club Sports. What sealed the deal? It's only 10 minutes from my friend's home (as opposed to a half hour to the closest branch of my gym.)

This gym is more a resort type of place than an upscale fitness center. Great for those who want to have the "vacation" experience of working out at a gym. The hottub is in the locker rooms, which is great!!! (Unfortunately when I was there, it was CROWDED!!!) If you like to do racquetball, swimming or tennis this is the right place for 'ya! Even though the membership is expensive and the place is more upscale, this is NOT the place to meet rich people, as some of the club guests and members seemed to think! (In the SF area, the Olympic Club is where you meet rich people.)

I was thrilled to find something similar to a Total Body Gym, as well as kettleballs, Plyo boxes and slideboards -- something I don't see at my health club! (I got either funny looks or impressed looks on the slideboards. Members of the club gave me funny looks. The trainers and employees were impressed. LOL!!!) Also, lots of ellliptical trainers (most of them with TV's, but I aim for the onces without a TV... and for a good reason...) However, a couple of things missing for me: 1) Prowler, 2) weighted sled and 3) VertiMax Jump trainer!!! (I would love to have some training in jumping but floor jumping is BAD on my lower back.) :-(

Also, the vibe I get from this gym is that they're more a "resort" than a serious training gym. For this figure skater, it's slightly nerving given my work ethics b/c I want to feel like I'm really training towards a goal and seeing results. For instance, the concept of working out with a TV is great, especially if I am watching football or baseball playoffs or the news. HOWEVER, I would like to concentrate on my cardio session. I'd rather watch my heart rate monitor, how fast I'm going on the elliptical trainer given a certain resistance and be mindful of whather or not I'm pushing myself or not. I don't want to be one of those that mindlessly go on the ellptical trainer to put in my obligated half hour. I want to make the most of my time at the gym, so I'm able to deal with the stress of skating thru two 1:40 programs. (Given that, I still went for the jacuzzi!!! There's something to be said for loosening tight muscles after a hard workout too!!! It's called "recovery!!!" :-P )

There is also a Cafe/Lounge to eat foods and stuff, though it peeves me that it's NOT open in the evenings, which is usually when I work out. GRRRRR!!!

I like this gym and when I am visiting this friend's home again, I will try to make another visit there. BUT...I can't justify spending tons on membership at this place. I'll stay at my current health club for now and go with my independent personal trainers at other "personal training" gyms for training.

No comments: